A delicious gin mousse cake best served with a Newy Distillery Signature hot chocolate and garnished with gin laced chocolate coated strawberries.
Flourless chocolate cake:
- 300g dark chocolate
- 275g caster sugar
- 165g unsalted butter
- 1/4tsp salt
- 2tbsp Newy Distillery Signature Gin
- 5 eggs
Dark chocolate mousse (also nice with milk chocolate but dark chocolate enhanced the botanicals in our signature gin):
- 250g dark chocolate (or milk chocolate)
- 100g sifted icing sugar, separated
- 175g unsalted butter
- 5 eggs, separated
- 3tbsp Newy Distillery Signature Gin
- 150ml double cream
Preheat your oven to 180C in a fan forced oven. Line with baking paper a deep 9” cake tin with a removable base.
Flourless chocolate cake:
- Place the chocolate, sugar, butter, and salt in a large bowl and either melt in the microwave in 30-second bursts or over boiling water on the stove. Once melted, add the gin and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Add to the chocolate mixture and mix in vigorously until the cake batter thickens.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, rotating the tin halfway through the baking time.
- Remove from the oven when a skewer comes out almost clean.
- Leave to cool for at least 2 hours.
Dark Chocolate Mousse:
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave in 30-second bursts. Add 50g sifted icing sugar and stir until combined. Add the butter and mix again until thoroughly combined. Add the 5 egg yolks one at a time, stirring well after each egg yolk. Mix in the gin and then set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites with a hand-held electric whisk or in a stand mixer until firm peaks form. Add the remaining 50g sifted icing sugar and whisk again until thick and glossy. Set aside.
- Wash the whisk of the electric whisk/stand mixer and whip the double cream until thickened and soft peaks form. You don’t want to overwhisk it.
- Add one-third of the egg whites to the chocolate mixture and fold in carefully. Fold in half the whipped cream gently but make sure there are no white streaks. Fold in another third of the egg whites, then the last half of the whipped cream. Finally, fold in the last third of the egg whites. When there are no white streaks, pour the mousse into the cake tin on top of cooled chocolate cake. Smooth the surface with an offset spatula and chill overnight.
The botanicals in the Newy Distillery Signature Gin add a wonderful flavour to the mousse.
To serve: Remove the cake tin from the fridge. Boil a kettle, pour some boiling water into a jug, dip a palette knife or offset spatula into the hot water, wipe dry then slide it around the edge of the mousse cake, making sure to get to the bottom. Push the mousse cake up out of the tin and place on a serving dish.
Newy Distillery Signature Hot Chocolate
- 60g Cadbury Milk Chocolate
- 180ml hot milk heated in the microwave
- 40ml Newy Distillery Signature Gin
Simply heat the milk in the microwave. Add the milk chocolate to melt in the hot milk. Add the Newy Distillery Signature Gin. Feel free to top with whipped cream.
The botanicals in the Newy Distillery Signature Gin add a wonderful flavour to the milk chocolate and make a great drink on a cold evening.